December 23, 2011

13 & 14 Month update for Brody

Ok so I know I'm really behind on my monthly updates on my lil guy so I'm just going to combine the past 2 months into one post.  Brody officially started walking November 5th and he thinks he is hot stuff now b/c he can follow his sissy everywhere she goes.  He has 7 teeth and his 2 top molars are popping thru.  He is really starting to be a gabber box, he loves to say ught oh, da da, ma ma, baby, and lots of pointing and grunting at objects.  He waives bye bye, shakes his head no no, and when he is finishing eating he raises his hands to show he is all done-so cute.  Brody is so easy going-loves to play and entertain himself but his sister is always there to pester him.  They love each other dearly and he loves to play hide-n-seek with her but he can get frustrated with her especially when she takes his toys.  His diet has had to change significantly in the past couple of weeks which has been an adj. for all of us-more on that in a minute-so his new favorite foods are oatmeal, pancakes, bananas, grapes, apples, goldfish, brocoli, potatoes and chicken noodle soup.
After Brody's 12 month check-up I was very concerned about Brody's weight so Dr. Hunter said lets give it a month of trying some supplements and see if we could get his weight up before we did further testing.  So we went back the end of November and he gained 1 ounce!!  That wasn't sitting well with me so she said we could do some blood work, urine analysis and stool sample to check everything out.  The Dr. called us about a week later and said EVERYTHING came back normal-I was relieved but still frustrated that we had no answers.  The Dr. said she was going to take a couple days to review his charts and call us back.  So during that time Ryan and I were talking and looking back thru pictures and it just dawned on us that all of this really started back when I stopped nursing.  So then we thought maybe he could be lactose intolerant.  It was starting to make sense-one of my biggest concerns has been that he was having 3-5 loose stools a day and it just didn't seem normal especially since he was eating table food.  So I decided to switch him from whole milk to Lactaid Whole Milk at home and at Daycare for the next week and talk to the Dr. some more and see if she thought that might be it.  She agreed with us and said she wants to go ahead and refer us to see a Peds upper GI Dr. also.  Its been 2 weeks now since we have limited his dairy intake and I can already tell a difference in his stools, he isn't waking up anymore in the middle of the night with what we thought were night terrors (probably belly pains)-as his mommy I feel terrible that I didn't recognize this sooner but he is such a happy lil guy and always been such a great baby I just didn't think there was anything going on other than he was just going to be a lil guy:)  He has his appt. Jan 12th with the upper GI dr. so I guess we will find out more then. 

No comments: